Senior System Engineer
This role has been filled.
Thanks for your interest. Please return to our Infrastructure page for other positions you may be interested in, or submit your resume now for future openings.
We are looking for a System Engineer for one of our clients. This position covers detailed knowledge in operating systems, operational tools, networks, storage, security, database management software and other similar systems support software on the IBM System z platform. The candidate will analyze, document, install and maintain IBM, CA and ISV system software. She/he will also provide technical support to users concerning system software and utilities.
- With only general direction and guidance, conduct special assignments of a highly complex and technical nature and develop alternative strategies which have an important effect on planning or meeting objectives.
- Plan and coordinate the day-to-day activities of a group of engineers or programmers which have the responsibility for a major technical area/system.
- Act as project lead for major projects requiring the use of project management and interpersonal skills to coordinate project interdependencies.
- Apply knowledge base technical expertise in decision making and in the resolution of problems which are highly complex and technical in nature.
- Provide system installation, maintenance, support, upgrades and incident resolution for mainframe hardware and software.
- Provide technical advice and recommendations to other IT staff and management for the mainframe environment.
- Help develop, document and maintain mainframe technical services processes, procedures and project plans.
- Observe and comply with company change and incident management procedures.
- Work with hardware and software vendors regarding problem resolution, new products and services.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or any equivalent combination of experience and/or education.
- 2-8+ years’ relevant mainframe work experience with at least 6 years in z/OS systems engineering/programming for senior level engineers.
- Senior level engineers must be able to mentor junior engineers in new systems, concepts and technical procedures.
- Requires a good understanding of mainframe disk (EMC VMAX), tape storage (TS7700) and communications protocols.
- Specific knowledge of z/OS related products Proficient with the installation and maintenance of IBM, CA and ISV software using SMP/E.
- Experience with ACF2 and Top Secret administration and reporting.
- Knowledge of Micro Focus Studio Enterprise Edition and Server Enterprise Edition on Windows and AIX platforms is a plus.
- Able to install and maintain third party software tools and utilities.
- Experienced with offsite recovery of mainframe systems. Participates in disaster recovery exercises and assists with the planning and documentation.